Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2015

Conflicting Standards

I decided I had to equip my miniature Dark Ages warriors with some vexillatory artwork, so found four figures from the lead mountain to hold a flag, one for each of my planned Dark Age Ireland factions.

I have absolutely no idea what make three of these basic figures are, or even from what basic range, nor how old they are, though I suspect the Irish flagman is actually an Ancient German! The one I am sure of is the Artizan Designs figure holding the raven standard.

Much use was made of the old WAB "Shieldwall" and "Age of Arthur" supplements in trying to create the images depicted on the flags, as well as whatever other art I could find on the shelves, such as the WRG "Armies of the Dark Ages" book. I could have looked long and hard for more stuff, but would rather paint than pore over pictures...

I also made a conscious decision NOT to highlight the flag itself, only the image depicted on it. My reasoning is that potentially complex designs can, in my opinion at least, lose impact the more involved their background is. Thus, using the "faces and bases" adage (you know the one, where you do your level best with the face and base of a figure as a way of hiding/ ignoring the other bits that get just a basic treatment), I give you four more humble offerings from the painting table for your perusal.

The poles are all metal spears/ pikes from the bits box, cut to size. Actually, at least one is cut too big as it does not fit in the tin with the Vikings I painted it for!!!

(Take it from me that each flag is identical front and back!)

G

The Artizan Designs guy, bought from Dave Thomas' stand at the WMMS show back in March. It was only when I finished painting him that I realised he is unarmed! The world's only pacifist Viking?

No idea where this figure is from, but for 50p in the Stafford Games second hand box he was a must have! The sword is a spare one I had lying around. He will be either another Viking or a Norse-Gael.

Another 50p bargain buy of indistinct manufacture, with a plastic axe from the Gripping Best Viking Hirdmen box. Again, either a Viking or a Norse-Gael...

The Ancient German Irishman, another 50p bargain buy. I am not sure I like this one. It looks like a horse on the ragged standard, which it is meant to, but it does not look like the sort of horse a 10th Century (-ish) Irishman would paint. Not swirly enough? Thus, I might get busy with some curly lining around shoulders, hips, face and eyes to try and make it look a bit more Celtic...



1 comment: