Pages

Saturday 24 June 2017

The last knockings?

Hello again.

My French and Indian Wars project has featured a number of times over the past twelve months or so, as I have worked my way through various random purchases from Regulars to Civilians via Indians and Irregulars. It has been a most enjoyable affair for me, different to my usual fayre, with plenty of variety and an end in sight early on, because it was basically the sort of large, skirmish affair I had so enjoyed with my SAGA forces. It was always destined to be a couple of hundred figures at most and I am almost there, at the aforementioned "last knockings".

Or am I?

I have painted practically everything I bought for this project, with the sum total of around a dozen figures left in the shoe box I have used to store castings for this project. This definitely constitutes a "last knockings" in my book.

But, I have no specific buildings yet. There are no log cabins, no longhouses, no stockades or maize fields or whatever. I bought a Perry North American Church kit several years ago and have not even built it yet. That would do for a start. I bought two canoes at WMMS back in March and they are still in their packaging. They would do too. And I have a desire still to add some more Regulars to the collection, but I cannot truly say whether I will do so or not...
And then there is the option of some artillery, perhaps some grenadiers, some light infantry...

Yet here, for your attention, is the penultimate group of figures I had on the "agenda". The leader is a Dixon Miniatures figure I bought early on in the project (the majority of that order actually being for Vikings!). The other figures are Redoubt bought towards the end of the project duration, at the WMMS show again last March. Based as before on 25mm circles (plastic or mdf, whatever I have to hand at the time) and textured with my usual mix of Basetex, model railway ballast, paint, static grass, the odd varnish puddle, etc, they fit nicely into the spare space in the box in which I keep this collection, sitting neatly in their mdf tray alongside the other "British and allies" troops.

So, here are the reinforcements for my Rangers.

All I need now is to get in a few more games. The last one was a couple of months ago...

G

A little shorter than most of the figures I have for this period, but not everyone is the same size in real life and he actually fits in well. I am never sure if he is smiling, grimacing, has just been shot or whether I have painted him wrongly with those prominent teeth. Did Freddie Mercury ever have any American ancestors?

Simple kit options for the frontier fighter.

Squad 1. I have still not done the research into specific units and what headgear each wore, so am happy to mix and match.

Squad 2. This now makes 18 Rangers plus an officer in my collection, so I an do a complete Ranger force for smaller games or a Ranger-led force for larger ones if I want.




No comments:

Post a Comment