Pages

Wednesday 13 September 2017

Tasters and titbits

Hello again.

No posts for two months and then three come along in as many days!

Not content with finishing a few dozen (well, over twelve dozen actually) 10mm Crimean War Russians, I have given some thought to what next year might hold for the Wyrley Retinue. Now, Nephew Paul wanted a World War 1 game and was sent off by the rest of us to source something suitable. He has not been heard of since....I reckon Malmaison would be a good bet, but hey ho.

So, Nephew Nick and I got our heads together in the absence of any feedback from Nephew Paul and thought we might use my French & Indian Wars figures in a suitable show-type game. Cue various ideas, plans, schemes and plots and....the purchase of several packs of Eagle Figures French and British Seven Years' War infantry and artillery at the Barrage Show in Stafford back in July. I am not convinced that this game will get off the ground, with various challenges to be met by one or two of us that seem to be draining will and time, but I have at least made a start.

Below are a few photos of the first of the French, but, actually, as I type, I have painted the sum total of 20 60th Foot (Royal Americans) for the British, with the command group still to do, a battalion of the French La Reine regiment and I am part way through (about 25%) a battalion of the Royal Roussillon regiment. Of course, I already have the figures from my "Muskets & Tomahawks" set up, so there should be no paucity of light troops and skirmishers, but I wanted to be able to field some good, solid line infantry too to fulfil one or more of the ideas I have been batting around, so these are progressing slowly. I expect to be adding more troops to the lead mountain at the Derby Worlds show early in October, so I am good to go regardless of whether the game makes it or not. I am enjoying painting some uniformity for a change and, having recently re-read a couple of Charles Grant's works, the 18th Century is quite an attraction at the moment.

I will post the pictures of the finished units soon enough, but even the "complete" La Reine battalion is not yet either varnished or based, so it might be a while yet.

Anyway, by way of a taster or a titbit, here are the aforementioned photos of a couple of new figures for the project.

See you soon,

G

The drummer for my La Reine regiment, in his alternative livery of red coat rather than the usual Livree du Roi blue.

And a rear view to show I did not skimp too much on the lace...

And another for Royal-Roussillon. I initially baulked at the drums these guys carried, littered with cannon, miniature regimental flags and so on, but it had to be done so I had a go at it. I don't think it looks too bad from this range!

And another rear view to show I did not cheat too much on the lace.

No comments:

Post a Comment